As seen on JobsInVT.com
Alpine Patrollers’ primary responsibilities fall under two broad categories: enhancing the safety of ski terrain, and providing emergency care to all on property. A Patroller must, at a minimum:
- Employ sound judgment in assessing ski terrain and snow conditions when opening and closing trails.
- Identify and mark hazards appropriately, and manage the flow of skier traffic.
- Display a high level of skiing/riding skill and prudence in setting an example for the skiing public.
- Possess strong leadership and communication skills necessary for running medical scenes and lift evacuations in extreme weather conditions and on highly technical terrain.
- Provide high quality emergency care to injured and/or ill persons on and around the property.
- Take a teamwork-oriented approach to interactions within the patrol and between departments.
- Maintain a high level of self care in cold weather working conditions.
An Alpine Patroller will, on any given day:
- Respond to sick and injured persons on trail and resort premises, stabilize and transport patients, and initiate and facilitate the transfer of patients to definitive care if necessary.
- Operate a loaded toboggan safely, on all terrain and in all snow and weather conditions.
- Plan and implement trail work, conduct trail checks before opening and sweep trails post-closing.
- Maintain good working order, full stock and appropriate placement of equipment such as lift evacuation devices, safety fences, closure and boundary ropes, low/high angle protection, extrication tools, toboggans, personal protective equipment and all medical supplies throughout the resort.
- Complete incident reports for each patient, and conduct accident investigations documenting the conditions at the scene and any signage or safety precautions the injured party saw or should have seen.
- Transport awkward and/or heavy equipment while skiing and often while operating snowmobiles.
- Provide excellent services to customers interacting with guests in a professional and courteous manner