MHA-NYC is a nonprofit organization with local roots and a national reach that for over 50 years has been leading the way in mental health with a three-part mission of service, advocacy, and education. Every year, we reach over one million people nationally with mental and behavioral health challenges through high quality innovative programs.
This is an ideal position for individuals who are interested in helping others and making a contribution to their community. Counselor provide evidence-informed crisis intervention, suicide prevention, information & referral, brief supportive counseling, and follow up services to individuals who contact the NYC Support program in emotional distress, particularly those at high risk for suicidal and/or homicidal thoughts and behaviors. Counselor interact with clients by telephone, SMS text messaging, and/or web chat. The position provides an opportunity to gain a wide range of clinical skills, and knowledge of the expanding field of behavioral health.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide evidence-informed information and referral, brief supportive counseling, crisis intervention and suicide prevention support to callers and/or chat/text visitors who are in emotional distress.
- Conduct assessments in accordance to program policies & procedures.
- Utilize resource referral database to provide information and referral assistance to callers seeking mental health and substance abuse services.
- Provide follow-up to high-risk callers reporting suicidal and/or homicidal thoughts and behaviors.
- Manage interactions to ensure appropriate level of support is provided in efficient manner.
- Adhere to policies & procedures for each service offered by program.
- Accurately and efficiently document client interactions.
- Meet or exceed established key performance indicator goals.
- Utilize telephone, SMS texting, and/or web chat to interact with clients.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Valid NYS License and Registration.
- Fluency in the English language both oral and written.
- Fluency in the Spanish language and/or Cantonese & Mandarin languages (oral required, written optional) preferred.
- Courteous, empathic and professional manner.
- Motivational interviewing.
- Active listening skills to establish working alliance with callers and/or chat/text visitors.
- Efficiency with information-gathering, and problem-solving to facilitate resolution of inquiries.
- Superior communication skills to convey information clearly, accurately and completely.
- Ability to maintain professional demeanor when handling crisis and other difficult contacts.
- Efficiency with balancing pace and flow of conversation and call time.
- 1 month paid mandatory training is required.
- A degree in Psychology, Social Work or related field required, and valid NYS license to practice.
- Experience working in Healthcare Contact Center and/or in Mental Health Counseling strongly preferred.
- Must be comfortable working independently and as part of a team in a collegial group environment. Copy of NYS license to practice, and current registration required by date of hire.
- National Provider Identification number required by date of hire; instructions for securing NPI number will be provided.
MHA-NYC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for positions without regard to veteran status, uniformed service member status, race, creed, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship status, national origin, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, caregiver status or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Full Benefits - Medical, Dental and Vision. Life insurance, 401K, Transit checks, Legal Services and much more
Many of the shits are evenings, weekends and overnights (swing shifts). We also have per-diem shifts as well.
Compensation based on degree level, Master's - $42K, Bachelor's - $38K and for Licensed - $43,500K